Monday, April 4, 2011

From Blossoms

From blossoms comes
this brown paper bag of peaches
we bought from the boy
at the bend in the road where we turned towardAlign Centersigns painted Peaches.

From laden boughs, from hands,
from sweet fellowship in the bins,
come nectar at the roadside, succulent
peaches we devour, dusty skin and all,
comes the familiar dust of summer, dust we eat.

O, to take what we love inside,
to carry within us an orchard, to eat
not only the skin, but the shade,
not only the sugar, but the days, to hold
the fruit in our hands, adore it, then bite into
the round jubilance of peach.

There are days we live
as if death were nowhere
in the background; from joy
to joy to joy, from wing to wing,
from blossom to blossom to
impossible blossom, to sweet impossible blossom.

- Li-Young Lee



Last summer I took a writing class with friends around the neighborhood. My teacher, showed us this poem which I fell in love with. I am an avid eater of peaches and I have this obsession with fruit stands, dust and the old way of life.
Finding inspiration from this poem by Lee, I created my own about blueberries. I'm still working on it and I only dabble in poetry. I love it though. Enjoy!

Two gems I see
patiently still,
placed in my palm
waiting to be loved.

Loved by the buds in my mouth,
blue, shiny with wrinkles,
cold to the touch.

Ripe in sight,
fresh with flavor,
waiting to be.

Rolling in my palm,
two gems to be loved.





The challenge for the day is find a food, or an item that reminds you of your favorite season. If you choose, take that item and make a poem, or find a picture or share your favorite memory with that item!
Happy writing!

(photos courtesy of www.adventuresinshaw.com and google.com)











No comments:

Post a Comment